Balloon flower- Platycodon Grandiflorus
Balloon Flower plants are very hardy perennials that can withstand periods of drought, and they are rarely bothered by disease or insect problems making them virtually a maintenance-free perennial.
Sow Balloon Flower seeds indoors 6 - 8 weeks before the last frost, and transplant them outside. This flower seed requires sunlight to germinate, so do not cover the flower seed with soil.
Just lightly pat them into the soil so good contact is made and water lightly. You can also sow the flower seed directly outdoors after the last frost. Balloon Flower seed is one of the last perennials to come up in the spring.
- Season: Perennial
- USDA Zones: 4 - 9
- Height: 18 inches
- Bloom Season: Summer
- Bloom Color: Blue, Pink, White
- Environment: Full sun to partial shade
- Soil Type: Well-drained, pH 5.8 - 6.8
- Temperature: 65 - 70F
- Average Germ Time: 14 - 21 days
- Light Required: Yes
- Depth: Do not cover
- Sowing Rate: 4 seeds per plant
- Moisture: Keep moist until germination
- Plant Spacing: 10 inches