Eastern Red Cedar is an evergreen conifer that grows 40 to 80 feet in height with a trunk up to feet in diameter. This aromatic tree often has a symmetrical, pyramidal shape and has thin, fibrous, reddish-brown bark. The trunk is noticeably tapered, often becoming fluted at the base.
Fragrant, scale-like foliage can be coarse or fine-cut, and varies in color from gray-green to blue-green to light- or dark-green. All colors tend to brown in winter.
Zone: 2 to 9
Growth Rate: Moderate to Rapid
Plant Type: Needled evergreen conifer
Family: Cupressaceae (Cypress Family)
Native Range: east and central North America
Height: 40 to 80 feet
Spread: 8 to 15 feet
Shape: Upright; densely pyramidal; becomes irregular and slightly pendulous with age.
- Height: 40 to 80 feet
- Spread: 8 to 15 feet
- Shape: Upright; densely pyramidal; becomes irregular and slightly pendulous with age.
Bloom Time: Late Winter
Sun: Full Sun
Fall Color: Evergreen
Drought Tolerance: High
- Maintenance: Low
Site Requirements/ Soil Tolerances: Tolerant of most conditions.
Culture: Pruning depends upon desired form. Easy to transplant.
Uses: Landscape specimen, garden accent, screen, Bonsai, mass plantings, groupings, windbreaks, foundation plantings, wood used for cedar products, fence posts, difficult sites.
- Leaf: Evergreen, very small, with two types of leaves (often on the same tree), scale-like leaves 1/16 inch long, dark green, with 4 sides held tightly to twig and longer (1/4 inch), dark blue-green needle-like leaves that are more common on young trees and fast growing shoots.
- Flower: Dioecious; but occasionally monoecious; males are small, yellow-brown, occurring in large groups; females are light blue-green.
- Berry-like cones, light green in spring, turning dark blue and glaucous at maturity, about 1/4 inch in diameter, appearing in spring and maturing in the fall.
- Twig: Green for several years, covered in scales, later turning brown.
- Bark: Red-brown in color, exfoliating in long, fibrous strips, often ashy gray where exposed.
- Form: A small tree with a dense ovoid or columnar crown reaching up to 80 feet tall.
Quantity: 30 Seeds